2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 each large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about 3 medium ones)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 325. Using shorteneing or soft butter, grease a 9 by 5 inch bread pan with a piece of bunched wax paper. Put a little flour in the pan, then tilt and tap the pan to coat the sides with flour. Tap out the excess.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl and then set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter in a separate bowl. Gradually beat in the sugar. One at a time, have your child crack each egg into a small bowl and beat it into the creamed mixture. Blend in the vanilla extract.
4. In another bowl, stir together the bananna anfd yogurt until well mixed. Blend the dry mixture and the bannana mixture into the creamed mixture in thirds, alternating dry and wet to help prevent the dry ingredients from clumping. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. With a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake the bread on the center oven rack for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 15 minutes. Then remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool thoroughly before slicing. Makes 10 - 12 slices.
RIPEN your bannanas until they are speckled with brown spots. They'll be sweeter and easy to mash. MASH 'em with any potato masher or even a potato ricer. Don't use a blender: it makes the bananna too airy to measure corredtly.