1 tbsp. canola, vegetable or avocado oil
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken, cubed and lightly seasoned* (I used a combo of breasts and thighs)
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. kosher sea salt
1/4 tsp. oregano
juice of 2 oranges
juice of 2 limes
1/2 jalapeño, minced (or a whole pepper if you prefer slightly spicier)
1/2 c. fresh cilantro
diced red onion
cotija or queso fresco cheese
1. Turn the Instant Pot on the SAUTE setting. Add oil and sear the chicken until golden brown. You will need to do this in two batches.
2. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
3. Add the chicken back into the pot. Season with chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, and oregano. Add the orange juice, lime juice, jalapeño, and cilantro.
4. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and pressure cook on the POULTRY setting for 12 minutes. After the chicken has fully cooked, carefully turn the steam release vent (I always do this with a long oven mitt on) and let the pressure come down. Once the valve pops, remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot on SAUTE.
5. Cook the chicken until the almost all of the remaining liquid is gone, or for crispy chicken, cook until the liquid is gone, then stir every 2-3 minutes for 6 minutes, taking care to not let the chicken burn.
6. Using two forks, shred the chicken and toss with extra lime juice, if desired. Serve immediately.
*You can season the chicken however you’d like. I used a blend of salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin.