2–4 tablespoons sesame oil
Pinch of salt, pepper and chili flakes
16–20 ounces salmon (4 thick pieces)
8 ounce shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed, sliced ( or use Smoked Mushrooms!)
6 tablespoon soy sauce ( or GF BRAGGS)
6 tablespoon Mirin (see notes for substitute)
2 tablespoon Furikake (https://www.feastingathome.com/furikake-recipe/)
2 1/2 – 2 cups cooked rice, black rice, quinoa or other grain (optional, or sub more veggies)
4 extra large handfuls of shredded cabbage (etiher fresh or sauteed- see notes)
2 avocado, sliced
Feel free to add addional roasted veggies or steamed veggies
Garnish: scallions, furikake, cucumber, chili flakes
1. Set rice or grain to cook, if using.
2. Make Sauce: Mix soy sauce and mirin in a small bowl.
3. If sautéing the shredded cabbage, see notes and do this now, and set aside.
4. Cook Salmon:Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the oil with a pinch of salt, pepper and chili flakes and swirl. Add the salmon and mushrooms, and sear all sides, until golden. Turn heat off, letting pan cool slightly (otherwise sauce may burn). Spoon sauce overtop of the salmon and mushrooms, swirling the skillet. Set aside.
5. Assemble the bowls: Divide rice or grains between 2 bowls. Sprinkle with furikake. Arrange cabbage, avocado wedges and any other veggies in the bowl. Top with seared salmon and mushrooms, and sprinkle it with Furikake spooning the remaining sauce over the avocado and cabbage.
6. Serve immediatly.
1. Sautéed Cabbage: Sometimes, instead of rice or grain, we’ll serve this Furikake Salmon over a bed of sauteed cabbage. Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a skillet. Add 1/4 cup thinnly sliced onion or shallot and saute over medium heat until fragrant. Add the shredded cabbage, season with salt and pepper and saute until just wilted. Add a tiny splash of soy sauce and rice vinegar, stir to coat, and set aside.
2. Mirin Substitue: 1 1/2 tablespoons water, 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons sugar, honey or maple. Use warm water if using honey– for easier mixing.