2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
1 pkg rapid-rise yeast
2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vegetable oil
1. Make the Dough
- In a large bowl, using wooden spoon, stir together the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt
- The warm water must be between 115 and 125 F. Use an instant rad thermometer to check the temperature. Pour the water and olive oil into the flour mixture. Stir with the wooden spoon until a rough, shaggy dough forms.
2. Knead the Dough
- Sprinkle a work surface with some flour. Dump the dough onto the surface.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes, until smooth and no longer sticky. Flour your hands and the surface with more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
3. Let the Dough Rise
- Gather the dough into a ball. Wipe out a bowl and oil it with bout 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- Put the dough into the bowl, and turn the ball to coat the surface with oil. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Set the bowl in a warm spot and let the dough rise for about 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- To see if the dough is ready, poke it with your finger. If the indent from your finger stays, the dough is ready. If it bounces back, let the dough sit for 10 more minutes.